Cost Effective / Fast Install
Racing Starts Certification Checklist
Teaching Racing Starts Safety Protocols and Checklist
How to Install:
- Dual-Leg Block: Simply hang around the back of both legs.
- Single-Leg Block: wrap the center of the strap around the leg 1 full rotation and then adjust to level out the Backstroke Ledge in the water
How to Adjust Height of Backstroke Ledge:
- To shorten: pull up on the straps on both sides
- To lengthen: Lift up on the buckle on either side of the Ledge and push down on the Ledge to lengthen
How to Adjust the Retraction Handle:
- It is best to NOT adjust the strap on the Ledge itself (extra strap length can get tangled on the swimmer)
- Instead adjust the length of the handle strap by adjusting the buckle on the handle
- Adjust the length so there is enough to reach SB Backstroke Ledge and the block but short enough that it takes minimal effort to lift the handle to pull the Ledge out of the water
- NOTE: the strap should extend UNDER the block and up the back to the handle on the block (NOT up in front of the block)
How to legally put feet on Backstroke Ledge:
A backstroke ledge may be used:
• The ledge may be adjustable to 4 cm above or 4 cm below the water level.
• The ledge is a minimum of 65 cm in length.
• The ledge must be 8 cm in height, 2 cm at the width with 10 degrees of slope
SW 6. Backstroke
– SW 6.1 When using a backstroke ledge at the start, the toes of both feet
must be in contact with the end wall or face of the touchpad.
USA Swimming Regulations:
1. Start – When using a backstroke ledge at the start, the toes of both feet must be
in contact with the end wall or face of the touchpad
103.15 BACKSTROKE LEDGE — The backstroke ledge shall conform to FINA’s specifications
when used in competition as follows:
.1 /M/ The ledge may be adjustable to 4 centimeters above or 4 centimeters below the water level.
.2 /M/ The ledge shall be a minimum of 65 centimeters in length.
.3 /M/ The ledge must be 8 centimeters in height, 2 centimeters at the width with 10 degrees of slope.
.4 /M/ The ledge may not be used in water depth less than 4 feet (1.22 meters).