BKS02 Category: Intermittent Strokes Between Kicking Cycles
Kick only (on side) with lower arm overhead in streamline (head in alignment with arm on bicep). Take a set number of kicks on one side and then rotate. Add full strokes at intermittent cycles in relation to kick count.
Trains proper balance from front-to-back and side-to-side.
Trains the ability to press the buoyant chest down to keep the hips up.
Trains the balance of 2 or 3 beat kick rate for each stroke
Promotes good rotation technique
BKS02-01 Kick Switch (Extended Balance) (GIF)(Full Video Link)
- 1 arm up, 1 down… lay on the arm that is up, take 6-12 kicks, take a stroke and switch to the other arm up
- Focus on bringing your recovering arm out of the water before you engage the pull with your lead arm
- Focus on the pinky entering the water first, not the back of the hand
- Ideal if you progress from 12, 10, 8, 6 and then finish with full stroke (3 kick/cycle)
- Add drag resistance such as Power Bags or KickBands
BKS02-02 360 T-Press with Backstroke Strokes (GIF)(Full Video Link)
- Take 4 or 6 kicks on the back, and 4 or 6 on the opposite side, then rotate to stomach and take 3 strokes while matching the 2 or 3 kick rate for each stroke
- Trains proper balance from front-to-back and side-to-side.
- Trains the ability to press the buoyant chest down to keep the hips up
- Trains the balance of 2 or 3 beat kick rate for each stroke
BKS02-03 360 T-Press with Backstroke Strokes – add paddles
- Add paddles such as Precision or Precise to improve Early Vertical Forearm
BKS02-04 360 T-Press with Backstroke Strokes – add drag and/or resistance
- Add drag such as Power Bags or KickBands (to add cardio for kick power development)
BKS02-05 3/10/5 Backstroke Drill (Full Video Link)
- Push off the wall, take 3 break out backstrokes (to set rotation tempo) with 2 or 3 kicks/stroke, drop hands to the side and rotate (on the same tempo and kick rate) 10 times with shoulders straight up, then take 5 strokes with same kick rate
- Encourages focus on connecting the kick rate with the stroke rate along with a high body rotation
- Add drag resistance such as Power Bags to build stronger, longer, and higher kicks)
- Add Glide Paddles to increase focus on hand entry